Top tips for Greenhouse Growing throughout October and November
A Keder Greenhouse is great asset for you to have in any vegetable plot or gardening space, enabling gardeners to make the most of the outdoor elements, come rain or shine. Even the smallest of Greenhouse structures can allow gardeners to extend the growing season and produce a great range of healthy crops and tasty vegetables all-year-round.
With the winter months quickly creeping in, there are still plenty of activities to keep you busy with your domestic Greenhouse, right through from October to December. Not only are you faced with the activity of lifting and clearing passed summer flowering items, but many new flower and vegetable varieties can also be sown at this time too…
What to do in the Greenhouse during Winter
- If your greenhouse is looking fairly empty, now is a great time to have a winter clean. Thoroughly clean, refresh and wash the greenhouse (using diluted washing up liquid 1 part to a 1000 aprox, please donot use chemicals against the cladding as it could effect the structure) to accommodate your new winter crops. This will allow more light into the structure and will also prevent pest and diseased over-wintering.
- Move any tender or fragile plants from the garden into the Greenhouse, to protect them from early frosts and cold weather. Be sure to provide them with enough space between them to keep them well ventilated and reduce risk of disease.
- If you have not already done so, remove any Greenhouse shading. (Although you probably wont have needed to use any in a Keder) This will allow as much light in as possible, during those darker months.
- Continue to check for, and remove any, fallen leaves or dead plant material. Try to keep the growing area free of clutter, fungal diseases and additional attractions for bugs and wildlife.
What to grow in October
If you are unsure of specific flowers, fruit, vegetables and seeds to sow and grow from October onwards, take a look at some of our suggestions below:
Growing Flowers in the Greenhouse
- Sow Sweet Peas in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse to over-winter planting outdoors in March or April, to produce early blossoms
- Sow Cyclamen seeds in a heated Greenhouse
- Try sowing Crepis undercover in a cold Greenhouse for earlier flowers next year
- Start Hollyhocks undercover. Pot up and overwinter in a cold Greenhouse or cold frame
Fruit and Veg to sow and grow in October
- Try sowing winter salad leaves for growing in Greenhouses, coldframes or cloches throughout the winter
- Herbs, such as Basil, Chives and Parsley can be sown now for growing on your windowsill throughout wintertime
- Plant Garlic Bulbs using a suitable variety, such a Solent Wight, Onions Early Crop and Swift can be planted during October and November
- Sowing Broad Beans produces young plants, ready for early spring.
For further tips and information about what to grow in your Keder Greenhouse throughout the winter months, please contact us now on: 01386 49094 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.